Saturday, April 24, 2010

Martial Arts Questions - Body Piercing, Advantage or Problem?

In today's society, we should discuss body piercing. Can this type of jewelry affect your martial-arts effectiveness?

Is wearing this type of jewelry to your advantage? I was going to retell the episode of my new friend from England suddenly hollering in pain while sparring with another guy. It turned out that the guy's stick barely nicked the nipple ring that Tom wore under his shirt. Completely by accident.

Oh the pain!

As I said, I was going to retell that story, but there is no need....Martial artists write me on occasion about martial encounters where one of the fighters had piercings.

And the vote is in:

Some of the martial artists and/or their adversaries have had eyebrow rings, and nose rings ripped off. Some have lost pieces of earlobe or face flesh when the metal was pulled out. One of my subscribers to Martial Arts Mastery, said that even simple studs and baubles can really hurt when hit into your skin, or when scraped.

Conclusion to the Martial Piercing Question

Steve Golden, an original Bruce Lee and Ed Parker student, has always had the rule of no jewelry worn in class. Period.

It's for this very reason.

I, on the other hand, tell my students that I advise against it. Some martial arts students still insist on sporting ear plugs or nose rings. This insistence only lasts for about one lesson -- or part way through the very first class. And I am not even necessarily the one to "deliver the convincer."

'Intentional' lesson-teaching accidents happen all of the time. Pierce if you want. I am not a judge, nor am I your parent. Just keep in mind that you may have created another vulnerable spot on your body. Something extra to have to protect. The answer to this martial arts question is just an answer -- a martial opinion. You absolutely don't have to follow this advice. It's presented to try to ready you for any possible martial encounter. It's just another piece of the puzzle. If you want to be ready for anyone and anything in a fight, you have lots to consider -- more than only body piercings.




Start here with my new, Free ebooklet: Street Fighting -- Ready for Anyone and Anything

Here's a site about punching harder and faster - Free Devastating Punch ebook.

Keith Pascal is a martial-arts writer and has taught martial arts for 25 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment